Practical solutions to your environmental issues
We provide general environmental counsel and assistance to industrial and commercial facilities, academic institutions and governmental entities, regularly representing such clients before the United States Environmental Protection Agency (“USEPA”), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the United States Army Corps of Engineers, and various State agencies, including, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (“CTDEP”), the Department of Health (“DOH”), Siting Counsel, the Department of Public Utilities Control (“DPUC”) and other state regulatory agencies. The capabilities and experience of our environmental attorneys include virtually all aspects of regulatory compliance and litigation at the federal, state and local levels throughout New England and the Mid- Atlantic region. In addition, the attorneys in the Environmental Practice Group have actively contributed to the development and shaping of key environmental statutes and regulations.
We have a long-standing and successful track record of negotiating favorable resolutions to judicial and administrative enforcement actions. We work closely with clients and, if necessary, outside environmental, engineering and/or public relations consultants in a concerted effort to address regulatory issues in a cost- effective manner. The firm’s environmental attorneys have extensive experience in counseling clients and structuring transactions to minimize environmental liability and maximize value. In addition, we regularly assist clients in designing and implementing both compliance and management system programs necessary to achieve environmental and occupational safety and health objectives. In doing so, we often develop educational programs and guidance materials for clients and participate in their internal educational initiatives.
Legal and Consulting Services
- General environmental litigation and administrative enforcement
- Property transfer, including investigation, remediation and redevelopment of contaminated property
- Assistance with monitoring and counsel of federal, state and local environmental regulatory compliance issues related to water, air, solid and hazardous waste
- Development and implementation of environmental regulatory compliance and management systems
- Environmental permitting
- Corporate, university and municipal environmental audits and assessments
- Negotiation and due diligence of environmental issues for business acquisitions, divestitures and mergers
- Superfund and hazardous waste litigation
- Federal, state and local environmental and land use permitting
- Formulation and assessment of environmental legislation
- Multi-media environmental litigation